Permission to Do Research

How Do You Get Permission to Do Research? 

All countries and institutions can get permission to do research in the World Heritage Area Ilulissat Icefjord. However, certain kinds of activity require special permission from the Home Rule Government. This is for instance the case when it comes to using helicopters, landing outside the established landing grounds, low altitude flying, camping for more than 24 hours, installation of equipment for longer periods and gathering samples.

Applications for permission to do research should be addressed to:

The Ministry of Farming, Self-sufficiency, Energy and Environment
Indaleqqap Aqqutaa 3
PO Box 1614
3900 Nuuk

Tel.: (+299) 34 50 00
Fax: (+299) 32 52 86

Co-operation with Scientists
Permissions to do research in the World Heritage Area are accompanied by requirements to report on the results of the project. The Ilulissat Icefjord Office also mediates the results of the research to the population and hence encourages the scientists in the area to arrange public meetings informing the population or school children about their projects.